Earn Units Working
If you work, volunteer, or are self-employed, you can earn up to 16 units of elective transfer credit, from 2 to 4 units per semester.
SPRING 2018 REGISTRATION UPDATE:
WORK 40 is a new work experience course starting in spring 2018. This class is designed for students whose work and their career goals and/or major do not align. Students can register for the class online without having to visit campus. There are 4 options for the course:
- WORK 40-1 unit (Students working 75 paid hours or 60 volunteer hours during the semester)
- WORK 40-2 units (Students working 150 paid hours or 120 volunteer hours during the semester)
- WORK 40-3 units (Students working 225 paid hours or 180 volunteer hours during the semester)
- WORK 40-4 units (Students working 300 paid hours or 240 volunteer hours during the semester)
Students working in a field of study related to their major and/or career goal should enroll in a cooperative work experience course in the discipline related to their field of study. These courses still require an in-person registration. Visit the Career Center and speak with Jennifer to learn about our discipline-specific options.
About the Program:
Cooperative work experience education is a process of education that combines work experience with regular college instruction as an integral part of the community college curriculum.
A student may enroll in Cooperative Education for a maximum of four semesters, and no more than 16 units may be earned at Merced College. Seventy-five hours of work experience (or 60 hours volunteer work) equal one unit of college credit. Cooperative education units are offered in many areas. The number of units the student will be enrolled in will be determined by the number of hours the student will work during the semester.
In order to participate in the Cooperative Education Program, a student must:
- have on-the-job experience in a paid or volunteer position;
- enroll in a Cooperative Education course;
- have the cooperation of the employer in including new or expanded responsibilities or learning opportunities on the job for which the student is enrolled in Cooperative Education.
Office Location and Contact Information
Career Center (3rd Floor, Lesher Building)
- Contact: Jennifer Lizarraga
- Hours: M-Th 8-12; F 8-11
Students may also inquire on the Los Banos campus in the Student Services Office.
(209) 384-6364, email@example.com