Search WWW

 Program Mission Statement
 CalWORKs Services Support Services
 Student Support Services
 Student Advocacy
 Counseling/Peer Assistants
 Human Service Agency
H.S.A. E&T
 Work Experience (WEX)
 CalWORKs  Child Care
 Department of WorkForce (Worknet)
 Student Testimonials
 Photo Gallery
 Partners, Resources, Committees
spacer gif

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does CalWORKs stand for?
A: California Work Opportunities and Responsibility to Kids Program

Q: Who is eligible for CalWORKs?
A: To be eligible for CalWORKs you must be receiving TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families)

Q: Can I get welfare and still go to college or vocational training?
A: Yes, CalWORKs allows you to get an education that will help you get and keep a job. There are certain time limits and other rules, but you can keep going to school.

Q: What is a Self-Initiated Program?
A: If you are already in school or other job training before you start a CalWORKs welfare-to-work program, you are in a Self-Initiated Program (SIP). If you are in a SIP you have a right to continue going to school. If your SIP is approved, it will help you meet your welfare-to-work requirements for CalWORKs.

Q: Can I get training or education if I am not already a SIP?
A: Yes, During your assessment, you can ask to be assigned to a community college or other training course as part of your "welfare to work plan."

Note: all questions and answers are from Students & CalWORKs Q&A July 1999 and Department of Social Services All-County Letter #99-32 April 1999

web page updated 11/20/2014