Five Easy Steps to Register for Classes at MC:
1 Apply Online
First, what type of student are you? I'm ...
- Still a K-12 Student
- A Senior About to Graduate High School
- An International Student
- An Undocumented Student
- A First-time MC Student or Returning After an Absence
- Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive two emails. The second will contain your MC ID number. You will need this number for most services and transactions at Merced College.
- Get help setting up your MC Student Portal.
2 Complete Placement Questionnaire
To help ensure students take the right English and math courses, Merced College uses a Placement Questionnaire (PQ) for course placement in English and Math. Most students will immediately receive placement results based on their answers to the Placement Questionnaire. The questions you will answer pertain to high school GPA, English and math courses taken in high school, and grades in those courses.
We recommend you refer to your high school transcript to answer the questions accurately. You can only submit the Placement Questionnaire once.
How to take the Placement Questionnaire:
- Find your high school transcript (Recommended for more accurate placement). See instructions on how to obtain your high school transcript (pdf).
- Log into the Merced College Portal using your username and password, go to WebAdvisor for students, then Academic Profile, then Placement Questionnaire (PQ). For help, view detailed instructions on how to log in (pdf).
- Open the Placement Questionnaire (PQ)
- Answer the questions to the Placement Questionnaire
- Check your responses for accuracy (Responses to the Placement Questionnaire will be randomly verified using official transcripts.)
- Submit your responses at the end of the Placement Questionnaire by checking the confirmation box and selecting on the "Submit" button.
Get Hands-on Help
You can go to the Welcome Center in the Lesher Building, Room 102 (lower level) for assistance with the Placement Questionnaire. Please bring your high school transcript (either official or unofficial) to answer the questions. View the contact page for Welcome Center office hours.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page
- 3 Complete Orientation
4 Meet with a Counselor
Before registering for classes, every new Merced College student should schedule to meet with a counselor. A counselor will review your Placement Questionnaire and help you understand where you have placed.
A counselor will also help you plan the courses you will take your first semester (Abbreviated Educational Plan). Please bring a copy of your unofficial high school transcripts when you meet with a counselor.
Make an appointment to see a counselor.
- 5 Register for Classes