Phi Theta Kappa
Honors Satellite Seminar
- First Prize: $100 Gift Certificate to the Merced College Bookstore
- Second Prize: $50 Gift Certificate to the Merced College Bookstore
- Essays due Thur., Nov. 15, 2007
The purpose of this essay contest is to encourage participation in the Honors
Satellite Seminar Series and stimulate intellectual engagement with the current
Honors Study Topic, "Gold, Gods, and Glory: The Global Dynamics of Power."
After attending one or both of the Honors Satellite Seminars, essayists may
choose to write on any ONE of the following prompts or topics:
* Is the Iraq conflict Islam vs. Western Civilization or is it truly an
internal struggle between two aspects of ISLAM, SHIA vs. SUNNI?
* Are Osama bin Laden's/al Qaeda's grievances with the United States purely
theological, or also social and political?
* What sets Afghanistan apart from other Muslim countries - from the Arab
nations and Iraq in particular?
* What policies should the United States pursue in Afghanistan and the Muslim
world in general?
* Write on only ONE of the above prompts.
* Microsoft Word, double spaced, 12-point font, with a total of no more than
* Any paraphrases or quotations must be properly cited, with a Works Cited
* To reduce paper waste, no hard-copy entries will be accepted. You MUST
email your essay to Phi Theta Kappa's Vice President of Scholarship, Patrick
Mudget. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org .
* Do not include any self-identifying information in the document itself. Be
sure to include the following information in the body of the email to which your
anonymous essay is attached: Title of your essay and your name.