Swine Flu Fact Sheet
There are currently no reported cases of swine flu in Merced
County or surrounding jurisdictions. The investigation into swine flu is ongoing
and more cases are expected to be reported in coming days.
The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms
of seasonal flu in humans and may include:
Individuals can avoid contracting any illness by taking several
• Frequent hand‐washing or use of alcohol‐based hand
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as germs spread
• Avoid close contact with sick people;
• If you do get sick, stay away from work (and school for
children) to avoid infecting others;
• Covering your nose and mouth when you sneeze; and
• Throw used tissues away immediately.
Important Facts to Remember:
• If you have flu symptoms, call your doctor. Only go to the
emergency room in emergencies or serious medical illnesses.
• Children who are sick should not go to school or day care.
Adults who are sick should not go to work.
• You cannot get infected with swine flu from eating or
handling cooked pork products.
Merced County Swine Flu Information Line – (209)‐381‐1180
(English) and (209)381‐1181 (Spanish)
mailings/Swine Flu Fact Sheet.pdf