Satisfactory Academic Progress 

You must meet three requirements to be considered to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to receive financial aid.

  1. Maintain a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0.
    This is the Qualitative Measure. A, B, C, D, and F grades are used to calculate a student's GPA. Transferable units from prior colleges are not included in the GPA calculation.
  2. Receive credit for at least 67% of the total units attempted.
    This is the Quantitative Measure (Pace of Progression). Withdrawals (W), Incompletes (I ), No Credit (NP), and Failing (F) grades are considered units attempted.
  3. Have attempted less than 150% of the maximum cumulative units required for completion of their program. This is the Maximum Timeframe. For example, a
    60 unit program = 90 units maximum timeframe.

After each academic term, the Financial Aid Office reviews transcripts to determine if financial aid students are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward their educational goals.   Students who fail to meet SAP standards are placed on financial aid disqualification status.

Appeal Process for the Reinstatement of Financial Aid

Students who have been denied financial aid may appeal to have their financial aid reinstated.  

To appeal for the 2021-2022 Academic Year 
- Log into

Appeal Deadlines 
July 30, 2021 Deadline for Summer 2021 Financial Aid Appeals
November 5, 2021 Deadline for Fall 2021 Financial Aid Appeals
April 1, 2022 Deadline for Spring 2022 Financial Aid Appeals

Your appeal along with all your documentation will go to the Appeals Committee, which will review all submitted information and make a decision. Students are notified by e-mail.

It is the student’s responsibility to work toward removing himself or herself from disqualification status by improving his/her successful completion rate and maintaining an acceptable GPA.   A student’s financial aid will be reinstated when either the student submits an appeal and the appeal is approved or the student removes himself or herself from appeal status by making satisfactory academic progress.

More Information on Satisfactory Academic Progress

Read more information on Merced College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policies:


Financial Aid Repeat Course Policy

Federal regulations allow students to receive federal student aid for one repeat of a previously passed course. A grade of D or better is considered passing. W's do not count as repeats. If you attempt a course for the third time after previously receiving a passing grade in that course, you will no longer be eligible for payment for those units if you previously received Title IV funding for the course.

Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the financial aid is awarded. When a student withdraws from all classes, the financial aid award amount for the student is affected. When a student receives a combination of FW’s, NC's, I's or all F’s, we must treat it as if the student dropped all classes.

According to Federal Student Aid regulations:

  • When a student fails to begin attendance in all classes but receives financial aid, the entire amount must be returned. The student is considered a “no show”. The institution will return all federal funds disbursed to the student back to the Department of Education, and the student will be billed the amount returned.
  • When a student withdraws before completing more than 60% of the term, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive. The financial aid office will perform a return of funds calculation to determine how much the institution and/or the student must return.
  • When a student withdraws after completing more than 60% of the term, the student will not owe any repayment to the institution or the Department of Education. The student has earned 100% of the financial aid received.
    When a student withdraws and the return of Title IV funds calculation performed indicates that a student has not received all financial aid entitled to, it is called a post-withdrawal disbursement. Our office will notify you by mail.