Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q1. How do I register for classes online?
- Q2. I cannot open documents in Blackboard. Help?
- Q3. How do I forward my school email?
- Q4. I cannot login to the WiFi and I am using the MC4ME Portal!
- Q5. How do I remember my password?
- Q6. I am having difficulties installing Respondus. Can you help?
- Q7. What should I do? I don't know how to send an email using Blackboard.
- Q8. How do I watch the videos for my online classes?
- Q9. How do I open a Power Point Presentation in Blackboard when using IE?
- Q10. How do I configure my iPhone, cell phone, or other email client, such as a PC, to retrieve emails from my college email account?
A1: Make sure you have completed the Five Easy Steps to Register for Classes at MC. Also, see the Merced College New Student Handbook for detailed information about these steps to registration.
See video on how to Search & Register for classes (.SWF/Flash format).
See step-by-step screenshots on registering for classes.
A2: Pleae follow these three steps in order to successfully open documents in Blackboard:
Download a Free Office solution from: http://www.openoffice.org/ (choose "I want to download...). It's free!
Buy Microsoft Office Professional at a discount from the foundation for California community colleges. It's $39.99 - Buy Software.
You can download the viewers from Microsoft for three popular Microsoft Office programs:
Note: If you have an expired trial version of Microsoft Office, you need to uninstall it so that the viewers work properly. Otherwise, the file association will not work.
View this video for a step-by-step demonstration:
Please see our Wireless/WiFi page for instructions on connecting to the campus wireless network.
View these tips for password management.
View these two resources for help:
Please click on the link and follow the prompts:
Important note: In order for Respondus to work, you need to do these three things:
- Download it
- Install it
- Use it (click on the Golden Padlock on your desktop). Your username is the same as the MC4ME Portal; your password is your DOB in MMDDYY format.
- Your password should be your DOB in MMDDYY. If it is not, go to Blackboard via MC4ME Portal and change it under "settings", "personal information" in the upper handside corner.
- Student Quick Start Quide from Respondus
If you are an MAC iPad user folow this directions:
Using the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 7 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the LockDown Browser toolbar.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.
Sending emails via Blackboard is actually pretty easy! See how to send email via Blackboard.
You need to download and install the free Quicktime Player from Apple (r). When it asks you, tell it to become the default player for all media: music, videos, etc.
You will need to have a viewer for PowerPoint. You can install a free PowerPoint Viewer from Micrsoft, or view the other options in "How do I open documents in Blackboard?"
Q10. How do I configure my iPhone, cell phone, or other email client, such as a PC, to retrieve emails from my college email account?
The settings for configuring your personal device to retrieve emails from your college count are represented in the screenshot below: