Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for Windows, Mac and iOS.
Your instructor may require the use of Respondus for your class. In order for Respondus to work, you need to do these three things:
How to Install Respondus
- Download it - Here's the link: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/information.pl?ID=546334588
- Install it - Follow the prompts on the website link above
- Use it - Click on the Golden Padlock on your desktop
- Your username is the same as the MC4ME Portal; your password might be your DOB in MMDDYY format.
- If your password is not your DOB in MMDDYY, double click on Firefox or Internet Explorer, go to www.mccd.edu.
- Log unto MC Portal and click on the Blackboard icon.
- Once in Blackboard, on the top you will see an arrow pointing down on the upper right hand side corner.
- Click on the arrow and a menu will appear.
- Go to "settings", "personal information", "change password".
- Type a password and write it down.
Congratulations, you have changed your password in Blackboard!
- Now it is time to close everything and click on an Icon on your Desktop that looks like a Padlock and that says: Respondus/Lockdown browser.
- As soon as you do, there will be two boxes, one for a username, another for a password.
On the box that says username type the username that you used for MC4ME Portal. On
the box that says password type the password you just invented and wrote on step "F".
Bingo, you are in! (if you are not, repeat the steps A to H)
- Student Quick Start Quide from Respondus
Using the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 7 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the LockDown Browser toolbar.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.