Most students arrive at the community college with the understanding that "General Education" is an important part of the course requirements that they must complete to transfer to a university. The links below connect you to guides that will show you how General Education courses are grouped together in "patterns" and which Merced College courses can be used to fulfill an entire pattern for the California State University (CSU), the University of California (UC), and some independent (private) colleges in California. General Education requirements to transfer to other California independent institutions and out-of-state colleges and universities vary, and you should meet with a Merced College counselor to learn about them.