Merced College values your safety and security and with the use of CampusShield, are able to accomplish this goal. This mobile app ensures that students, staff, faculty and visitors have the most cutting edge safety technology. With a push of a button, Campus Police will know immediately that you need assistance. Users complete a profile which is stored in the mobile device. Profile information is not communicated to Merced College Campus Police until the user initiates a request for service. CampusShield is a free smart phone safety app.
We urge all students, staff and faculty who have not already signed up to download the app and sign up today! The app is for use while at the Merced, BRC or Los Banos campus to report any emergencies, non-emergencies, and crime tips. When necessary, you will also receive text messages and/or emails alerting of any urgent campus incidents/emergencies.
Encourage your family and/or friends to sign up to receive CampusShield notifications, as well. Keep in mind, they will not have access to the full suite of options as current Merced College students and staff (such as anonymous tip reporting). In order to begin receiving notifications, they can do one of the following:
- Text mercedcollege (all one word, no spaces) to 58843
- Completed registration is confirmed with a text message response indicating “Success!”
- No additional information is required
- Download the CampusShield app and complete the registration process using a non-MCCD email address
- They will be prompted to proceed as a guest and will need to provide the District’s 6-digit registration code, 360036
- Under Notification Preferences, choose the Public option
- Use the following link https://portal.publicsafetycloud.net/community-alerts/merced-college to register to receive campus notifications via email
- An email address must be entered in order to complete the registration process
- Enter a phone number in order to receive text message notifications (this is optional)
- There is no need to provide an address
- Under Public Notification Groups, choose the Public option
- A password must be created in order to complete the process
If you would like to know more about the app, we encourage you to talk to any of our campus police officers when you see them on campus and ask for an overview. For more information, contact Campus Police at (209) 386-6600 (Merced) or (209) 381-6425 (Los Banos).
IMPORTANT: If you have the old 911 Shield App installed, please do the following immediately:
- Uninstall the 911 Shield app on your smart phone
- Download the CampusShield app and complete the registration process
- When registering, under Notification Preferences, make sure to select either the Campus Community or Faculty/Staff option
- Allow access to your location
More About Campus Shield App
The app, which is free to download from either the Google play or Apple App Store, allows users to make an emergency call straight to campus police, submit tips for crimes or suspicious activity, request a safety escort or review campus emergency procedures.
- Free for anyone: students, faculty, staff and visitors
- iOS and Android compatible
- Summons Emergency Services by telephone with a single button
- Submit non-emergency reports including a picture and a video
- Submit anonymously
- Instantly notify pre-identified contacts of your safety and location
Users may select the emergency button to initiate a telephone request for emergency services. While on Merced College property, the user is routed directly to the Merced College Campus Police and will include the user’s location and profile data. Off-campus calls are routed to local 9-1-1 dispatch. When selecting the emergency call button, a short countdown will begin to give the device user an opportunity to cancel the call should it have been accidental.
Users may submit non-emergency reports to Merced College Campus Police: Suspicious Person, Theft, Drug Use, Concerning Behavior, Vandalism and Other Inquiry. Upon submission, the Campus Police receives the user profile and location data to assist in a response. All reports may be submitted anonymously with or without a picture or video.
Enables you and your friends to watch out for each other. Users enter the activity and an end time to begin a countdown… enter your passcode before that set time or FriendWatch contacts will be notified. Use FriendWatch while walking to/from your car, social functions, class, etc.
Helpful information is located here to assist users with parking, maps, and safety tips.
Download the CampusShield App Today!